Contact Us:  (423) 542-1101

Frequently Asked Questions

Service / Outages

Q. If my power goes out, what should I do?

A. Check your circuit breakers or fuses to see if it’s an isolated problem. Next, examine your meter. If the meter box or any wires look damaged, call a certified electrician. They may need to make repairs before EED can reconnect power. If you have a digital read out meter and the screen is blank you are not receiving power, call Elizabethton Electric Department (542-1111) to report the outage.

Q. Who do I call if electrical wires have been pulled away from my house?

A. EED is responsible for delivering power to your meter and service entrance or weatherhead. You are responsible for repairs from the meter into your home. If service has been pulled away from your house, a qualified electrician of your choice must make the repairs. Before power can be turned back on, The State Electrical Inspector must inspect the work and issue a release.

Q. What are EED’s priorities for restoring service?

A. Our crews work around the clock until everyone has power again. EED follows a three-step process recognized as an industry standard best. Hospitals, police departments, fire stations and other public health and safety facilities are priority one.

  • Step 1 – Repairs are made at substations and on main distribution lines that leave the substations.
  • Step 2 – Crews fix damage to tap lines that branch off into groups of homes or neighborhoods.
  • Step 3 – Power is restored to pockets of customers and then to individual homes.

Q. Do elected officials, employees or other important individuals get special attention?

A. No. EED does not give preferential treatment. Work is not assigned according to when customers report their outage, where they live or the status of their account.

Q. What if I have special medical needs?

A. If you or a family member relies on an electrical life-sustaining medical device in your home, call us to make sure we are aware of it. In some cases, severe storms can damage our electrical system so badly that it takes days to fix. If you depend on electricity, it’s important to have an emergency back-up plan in place.

Q. How can I tell if a downed power line is still carrying electricity?

A. Any downed line could be energized, treat all down power lines as energized. Never go near downed power lines, electrocution is a real danger. Tell your children about the potential hazards and to stay away from all wires and cables. Call EED to report a downed line.

Q. Are there safety concerns in using a portable generator?

A. Never operate a generator inside your home. Keep it outside for proper ventilation. Plug appliances directly into the generator, and only use extension cords when necessary. The number of appliances a generator can safely power depends on its rated wattage. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations for proper use and load. Only a licensed electrician should attempt to hook up a generator to the main electric panel of your home or business. If it’s connected improperly power can “back feed” into utility lines causing harm or death to line workers. If you plan to hook up a generator to the home wiring, see our Residential Generator Installation PDF.

Q. Why would an EED crew pass my house without stopping?

A. The crew could be looking for the cause of the outage or working at a nearby location before electric service can be restored to your home.

Q. How long does food last after the power goes out?

A. According to the USDA, food stored in a fully-stocked freezer will stay cold for two days. A half-full freezer will keep items frozen one day. An unopened refrigerator will keep food cold four hours after power is lost. Check the temperature inside your fridge once electricity is restored to determine if the food is safe to eat. It should be at or below 40 degrees with the freezer at or below zero degrees.

Q. How do I report a street light problem?

A. Call your EED service department 547-8670.

Billing / Finance

Q. What do I need to do when transferring service or applying for new service?

A. Customers will need to come inside and speak with a Customer Service Representative. Customers will have to also bring a photo ID, social security card and a copy of the lease/rental agreement or documentation showing ownership of property. If you have questions concerning new service you may contact our Customer Service Department at 547-6200 and choosing option 2.

Q. Will I be required to pay a deposit?

A. Yes. Every account must have a deposit. Your deposit will be based on a credit check that will be run in our office. Deposits run from $100.00 to $350.00.

Q. What are my payment options for my utility bills?

A. Customers may mail their payments or drop them off in person at 136 South Sycamore Street. Payments that are made on or before the due date that do not have a past due balance can be paid at Citizens or Carter County Bank branches. Customers also have the option of signing up for bank draft. We also have three drop boxes that can be used; two at City Hall and one at our Hatcher Lane location. We also accept credit and debit card payments over the phone and you may also pay your bill online.

Q. Who do I contact for questions about my bill?

A. Our Billing Department phone numbers are 547-8609 and 547-8610.